I have been in a long distance relationship now since the beginning of 2015 and I am sure I am not the first one to say that it is hard. Since coming to university I have watched other long distance couples grow slowly apart and i consider myself one of the lucky ones to still be in a relationship that is in fact growing stronger everyday.. so I consider myself a bit of an expert in this. There are many ways you can keep your long distance relationship going strong but remember that if you are really struggling and you start to feel that the spark is missing, you need to listen to that and not force feelings that may not be there anymore. However if you still have extremely strong feelings for him/her and you know that this is the person you want by your side for a very long time then it can be simple to keep your relationship strong despite not being together physically.
Here are some points to consider:
- Skype. This is probably the easiest thing you can do to keep up your relationship, it is also what Skype is there for, so take advantage of it. I would say a healthy amount of Skyping for a couple would be at least 4 times a week, sometimes it doesn’t even have to be talking to each other, you can also watch Netflix together if you time your shows right or even just having them there while you are studying or working is better than not seeing them at all.
- Visiting. It is so important that you do make the effort to physically see each other now and again. This may be difficult for couples who are oceans apart (and expensive) but for those who are in the same country, try and see each other at least once a month. It is important to not get comfortable with being apart, trust me when I say when you get comfortable without being that person, it is quite difficult to get out of that and it is really weird seeing them for the first time.
- Honesty. This is probably the most important point out of all of them. This goes for every couple out there too, but it is extremely important to be honest when you’re miles apart. Talk about your feelings, what you have done during the day and keep your partner up to date with your life so they don’t feel left out from your life or that you’re hiding something from them.
- Talk about the future. This is also an important one, as it keeps you and your partner excited with the relationship and it avoids boredom, when you’re long distance it is easy to fall into the habit of being almost single as you haven’t got your partner there 24/7 to remind you that they are part of your life too. Make plans together, holidays, fun weekends and future goals.
- Romance. This is an obvious one but also once of the biggest things that you will be missing out on in a long distant relationship, but there are things you can do to keep a spark between you and your partner. When you do visit each other make sure you go for a nice meal together, maybe go on a date to the cinema. When you are away from each other you can make gestures like an appreciation text or telling them how you feel about them every now and again.. just a little reminder that you still want to be with them is good enough.
Considering all these points, it is important to remember to put yourself and your feelings first, long distance is extremely hard for a couple as the whole point of being with someone is that you want them by your side every day, but if you can survive even a month without being with that person and still feel exactly the same if not stronger about them, then you are most definitely in it for the long run.